
I have been a total slug today with a hand that looks more and more like the boa constrictor in Le Petit Prince. So here is what's up on the play list.
Barber: Agnus Dei (Based On Adagio For Strings) • Robert Shaw Singers
Dorothy Masuka • Ngotsotsi
Jiggle the Handle • Walking Backwards
Michael Jones • Wind and Whispers
Giordano Morel • Cuanto Daria
Jon Mark • The Greenwood, The Briar And The Rose
Uakti • Xingu River
Simple Minds • Sanctify Yourself
Bobby McFerron • Discipline
Backstreet Boys • All I have to give
What a bizarre collection. The Barber is amazing simply for the soprano descant that takes a lone voice into the stratosphere (must be a 'B' or 'C'). Masuka is off one of the Simply World disks and not something I have really gotten to know yet. Jiggle the Handle came off a collection my nephew made for me and I have never been able to find it; I think it's a local Denver band. Michael Jones is one of those New Age pianists who has been plinking the keys for over 20 years. Throw in a bachata song to break up one New Age from the next, Jon Mark. The Mark songs are disks that came out in the late 1980s and I can remember listening to them as I worked for interlibrary loans at Firestone library at Princeton. We weren't supposed to listen to Walkmen as we worked but I had to spend all afternoon trundling a bookcart around the library collecting books and figured I was far away from my boss to do so. The Jakti is a combo classical guitar with South American instrumentation. Simple Minds — speaks for itself, some mid 1980s music. Wind things down with some Bobby McFerron and then finally liven things up with Backstreet Boys (Naomi was floored when she learned that I listened to them).
2 comments:
I ran across this post while searching in vain for Michael Jones' Wind and Whispers. Would you be willing to share it? It's no longer available, and my tape of the earlier version, WIndsong, is broken!
Post a Comment