02 March 2010

Town Meeting Day 2010


Naomi's uncle asks a question at town meeting in my former town. Here in the big city, we don't have town meeting; we just go vote, but walking the gauntlet of signs advising you to vote yes or no on something is its own form of socialising. I saw several people from the congregation (as I saw one yesterday out skiing) as I walked in and ended up sitting at a table next to another parishioner. It was sort of like taking the SATs... lots of articles to vote, sitting at a table with no partitions for privacy but it didn't matter to me.

The big thing in Vermont today in 16 towns was a non-binding vote on whether or not to renew Vermont Yankee nuclear power plant's license. I don't know results yet. One town spent more time debating whether or not to buy a new dump truck than the non-binding vote.

In my former town, there was always a woman who would nitpick the budget. I won't be surprised to hear that they voted down the school budget. I still don't have a good handle on the politics or people here.

Then there is Swanton way up north, practically in Canada, voting whether or not to continue taking care of a pair of swans given a long time ago (are these the great, great, great, great, great greats?) by the Queen of England.

It's Vermont at its best... but there are also moments of the state at its worst such as the young black voter who was blatantly ignored by the poll workers. We still have a long way to go there.

No comments: