Where I am free,
by the sea... (Renaissance, a 1970s English band that based their work on classical music)
Off tomorrow to my parents' downstream in Connecticut. I hope I will get to the beach.
I grew up with this lighthouse off the shore. My brother and I used to sail our sailfish out to it, and if you started walking as the tide went out, you could get out to the lighthouse via a half-mile reef (that was also covered with barnacles).
When I was growing up (40 years ago!), the lighthouse still had someone out there who kept things going but in the 1980s, they changed it to an automatic, solar-powered horn. It still operates -- it has to.
Well, even if it rains, maybe I will get down to the beach for old times' sake.
4 comments:
Safe travels. Enjoy your time with the rents and the beach.
I hope you get to the beach, Caminante.
I love lighthouses. I love to think of people living and working in lighthouses, but like so many other forms of work, people are disappearing from the scene. Ah, well.
Have a lovely trip and visit with your parents.
What a great place to have grown up near. Hope you have a great visit!
Ah, Renaissance. I have several of their LPs. I saw them at Winterland in SF opening for Rick Wakeman, in 1975 or so. They were great, Wakeman was boring as hell. I still can't get over the bass player for Renaissance; he was incredible, and Annie Haslam has such an incredible range.
Oh yeah, Lighthouses. I think they're all automatic nowadays.
Post a Comment