
With the snow also come the ice dams on the north side of the house. It's early for them so I wonder how many times the poor house will go through the ice-melt cycle. The ash tree in the foreground obscures the view of the big icicle that hangs in the el of the house. When the ice comes off the roof, it can be 200 pounds. It's enough to shake the house and the cats scatter in all directions because of the shudder. The ice always lands on those poor beaten-down trees that some bright person planted after someone else removed the porch that used to wrap around to the north side of the house (probably a prime site for leaks). I am fortunate that I haven't gotten hit with the ice when it has come down on the ramp. I have returned from a trip to the church on occasion to find huge chunks that weren't there before.

Last year, there was a lot of water damage done on the inside of the upper two windows and downstairs window from ice build up. (I hate to think of what the side wall looks like under the cheesy siding added on in the 1970s.) I used to climb out the attic window from the front of the house and shovel the snow off the back roof but ever since we raised the pitch of the roof and sealed off the attic stairs, I haven't been up there (great view of the town!). Last year, a parishioner's husband got up there and shovelled the snow/ice off. Of course it all went onto the walk that is between the house and the parish house/office so I had to clear it away.
It's back to the winter-time follies: leaks, water damage and cranky furnaces (dead church furnace on Sunday morning also has happened). And... I am just waiting for the mass of the snow on the shed roof to dump. That will be a delight to clear away because it consists of layers of snow/ice/snow.
Such is the life of a country parson in the north. Free exercise and excitement at every turn.
[Wednesday morning update: Yup, we're supposed to have rain on Sunday, a short thaw. Oh good, just enough to make everything like ice for Christmas Eve day.]
[Thursday addendum from the local meteorologist: I was looking at the Fairbanks Museum (Saint Johnsbury VT) weather records this month, and it reminded me of an interesting phenomenon that happens near Christmas. Average temperatures have been plunging all month, but from the 22nd to the 27th, the long-term temperatures rise about 2 degrees. This may not sound like much, but its persistence over the years suggests a Christmas thaw more years than not. I concur.]
No comments:
Post a Comment