04 December 2007

Rhetorical Question


Why when a woman writes about peace-making, it's called 'passionate and emotional'

but

when a man writes about war-making, it's called 'deliberate'?

[some Irish Celtic peace doves to accompany this question.. so you know my bias.]

1 comment:

Paul said...

Perhaps it is silly to respond to rhetorical questions. That, of course, is unlikely to stop me. Once I asked a rhetorical "why?" in a sermon and the irrepressible Peggy came though, saying aloud: "Yeah, Father Paul, why is that?" I miss her so.

As to your question, I can discern no rationality involved. It seems to me that women who speak out for peace are very determined and men who speak on behalf of war are driven by twisted emotions and very dark passions. In our snarkier moments, we call it "testosterone poisoning." It lead to all manner of posturing, then insecurities demand that the postures be backed up, and then we are all killing each other. Tragic.

God grant power to the women (and the womb-challenged) to speak up for peace!