01 February 2007

A good prayer to remember


MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am
following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in
the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave
me to face my perils alone.

Thanks to a poster in the House of Bishops/Deputies list serve who put this prayer of Thomas Merton up today. It's worth remembering for these times of uncertainty, these times when, increasingly, it would seem that the Anglican Communion is facing challenges that are straining the corporate entity. I don't know how it's all going to sort itself out, whether the Communion will split, whether it can stay together, or even where death and then resurrection lie in the current brouhahas. I don't see how anyone can claim to know.

What I do know is that my soul is weary of it all. What I do know is even if the Anglican Communion will cease to exist as it currently is and may become something new, whatever changes/losses/transformations there are, they will not alter my relationship with my Salvadoran Anglican sisters and brothers. What I do know is that the people of my congregation and I will continue to gather week-in-week-out to celebrate in the holy mysteries and be nourished through communion. What I do know is that we already know who we are, God's beloved, sealed by the Holy Spirit in baptism and marked as Christ's own for ever.

Oddly, for someone as verbose as I am, I still am having a very hard time putting my thoughts into words. So many other bloggers are doing a far better job than I, so why clutter up the blogosphere?

No comments: