12 February 2007

Snow at last


It took getting in the shadow of Mount Washington to find snow, though even there, down on route 302 in Bretton Woods, the snowcover on the side of the road is pretty dismal.

But there was enough snow and a morning snow squall to feel as though it was winter as we went out snowshoeing. I would have liked to have cross country skiied (more exercise) but my skis are vintage 1973, wax skis and I need to put the pine pitch stuff on the bottom so the wax won't leech through. Besides, my boots (vintage 1992) have sort of fallen apart, and I am not sure after all my walking if my feet would fit in them. It seemed dumb to pay $34 to rent a pair of skis and boots (on top of the $17 trail fee) for just under two hours. So instead, we went out, mit poles, and stomped around the trails at a good clip. One trail, reminiscent of trails of another cross-country ski place where I used to go back in the 1970s and 1980s, led to this brook and water fall (frozen).

The photo doesn't show much in such a low resolution but it is of a rock overhang and the snow-covered ice on the brook.

I am glad for this morning's snowshoeing because this evening I spent two hours plus on the phone with two people talking about church-related matters. So much for a true and full day off. And the meeting I really, really wanted to get through tonight was postponed legitimately for illness.

Meanwhile, it sounds as though Wednesday we finally are going to get some real snow, as in a foot or so. It's way overdue.

I meant to say that last night, using my nephew's telescope, I saw Saturn with its rings! At first I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to see and it was only looking through the telescope again that I could see them. Pretty cool.

As a parting shot, here's the trail we walked. There was some strong x-country skiier who skate-skiied the whole thing. That takes a lot of upper body strength as well as thigh muscles.

No comments: