25 March 2009

Life is never simple

MONTPELIER -- Gov. Jim Douglas (R) announced this afternoon he intends to veto the same-sex marriage bill should it pass the House.

"I believe our civil union law serves Vermont well ..." Douglas told a gathering of reporters and onlookers at a hastily called news conference in the Pavilion Building. "I believe that marriage should remain between a man and a woman. ... I'm announcing that I intend to veto this legislation when it reaches my desk."

The Senate approved a same-sex marriage bill Tuesday that would give the same rights to same-sex couples as those of heterosexual married couples. The bill is before the House Judiciary Committee now and is expected to reach the full House by next week.

***

Bring back Howard Dean.

2 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

Any chance they will override the veto?

I hope that this means he won't get reelected again.

it's margaret said...

This really sucks. Is it possible that to return to the House after his veto and have the House over-ride it?

You all continue in my prayers.