
The Vermont legislature is holding hearings on freedom to marry for same-gender couples. The number of civil unions has drastically dropped (262 in 2008) because other states now offer marriage for same-gender couples. The opposition is loud and vocal (to listen to their leader is to cringe).
But the Episcopal Diocese of Vermont is well represented by a lot of clergy who have signed a petition for free marriage (the second largest group, I believe) and our bishop who has testified before the legislature. As we are wont to remind folks, the chair of the House Judiciary Committee that created civil unions in 2000 is a good Episcopalian, wonderfully laconic Vermonter and an old-style Republican. All things are possible.

I need to look at my calendar to see if I can swing going to Montpelier tomorrow evening for the hearing from 6.30-8.00. I was fortunate to be seated on the floor of the House in January 2000 and one of the 100 or so called upon to testify. As I sat there, I looked at our state motto, 'Freedom and Unity.' Always, unity does not mean uniformity. When I lived just 12 miles from Montpelier, I would hope in my car and go to the hearings or votes. The Vermont Freedom to Marry Task Force is asking for supporters to show up and is even providing buses to get us up there so it is tempting. I just wish Compa weren't in Texas for a conference.

2 comments:
I was thinking of you when I heard about this today.
Hope for the best!
Post a Comment