30 July 2008

One armed bandit

just up from a 2 hr nap (i am going to pretend I am typing on a crackberry).

pain is extra-strength tylenol worth but not yet vicodin (which i have). i am aware however that they chomped into me and so am staying quiet with my paw iced (frozen peas) and elevated.

i didn't get into the OR until noon though i had to be there at 9.30... after a blown vein and some other silliness. good thing i had a book; i read 75 pages of the latest julia spencer-fleming - i am the first one to borrow it from the library!

it was my first time in an OR since 1969. wow. they sure keep them cold; i was all wrapped up in blankets except for the arm they would work on.

i don't know if i really slept or not; i felt as though i was talking church stuff the whole time... but have no recollection of anything until my doctor showed me the cyst sac and its stem she has removed (like being in the garage when they show you the dead car parts). impressive. she said it was textbook but quite big and getting bigger. i don't want to be a hypochondriac and want whatever intervention to be justified so i guess this one was.

they sent me home with my hand and wrist wrapped up in an ace bandage. on the underside of my hand is a plaster splint so i can;t move it. i'll keep this set-up for a week and the stitcheswill come out on the 11th.

ok, this has taken a bit of time since it's one-handed pecking. i am operating as a right-handed person for the moment -- not too bad, just slow. i was able to sign my discharge paper that way and the signature is very neat!

photo of my get-up later.

4 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

Yes, that versed is an amazing drug...when I had my wisdom teeth surgically extracted I was the same way....no recollection of anything between the dr. saying, "you'll feel relaxed now" and saying, "time to go" but apparently i was talking --when my mouth wasn't full of extraction tools.

Jane R said...

Glad you are okay. Rest up!

I was about to write you off-blog with some queries about the Global Center for something I'm trying to write up. I'll still do so but not tonight, and I will give you my phone # so you can call if you are up to it over the next few days and not have to type.

PseudoPiskie said...

Glad all went as planned! Prayers for speedy healing.

Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, thank you for posting an update here.

But, GAWD! I sympathize about the one-handed pecking ... as you may remember from when my dominant hand was paralyzed.

Go slow. Enjoy the meds.