20 July 2008

Snarky Rhetorical Questions


Christianity Today has this headline:

Crack up of Anglican Communion at hand, evangelicals say

My question is:

Since you are absolutely salivating over it, why don't you just get on with it?

Every day in a certain list serve, we get these gleeful reports from a priest about the downfall of The Episcopal Church, how people are leaving in droves, how apostate we are and so forth.

And my question is:

If you hate us so much, why are you still with us?

I just don't get it.

And then Mark Harris posts about seven GAFCON/FOCA primates (six from Africa and one from South America) letter of rejection of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the draft Anglican Covenant (over which we have been busting our chops trying to come up with intelligent mature responses, unlike anything I am writing in this post) and I ask again:

You have been threatening to leave for years, so how come you're still with us?

I know I am supposed to pray for unity as John's Jesus prays in his last supper discourse but....

Oh well, I have to have something to confess this morning... my impatience with all this.

[Thanks to Susan Russell's Lambeth blog for the pink and purple compass rose.]

3 comments:

Paul said...

My patience ran out a long time ago. I am of the "leave or shut up" school. I refuse to listen to or respond to or refute their blathering. Yes, that's right, I will no longer listen. And I feel no guilt about it because I grew up among it and had it all force fed to me in my childhood and youth and, having decided it just was not so, choose not to invest energy in dealing with it. I did so for many years. It. Is. Time. To. Move. On. For all of us.

So, go! May all your godly ministry be blessed. May your narrowness not harm others. If you choose to be miserable, I honor your choice. Just do it elsewhere and leave us alone so we can get on with our ministry.

Padre Mickey said...

My question for these folks is: "how many fingers am I holding up, and which one is it?"

Lisa Fox said...

Amen to all three of you!

And, Caminante, about that certain priest on that certain listserv: I figure if he did not have in his life the joy of posting the gloom-and-gloating reports, he would be emulating that particularly sicko "monk" from The DaVinci Code.