
[This is post number 900. Eek.]
Last night at this hour I was asleep in a small tent near a pristine pond (it is a two-plus mile walk in minimum from a road and in a designated wilderness so there are no houses around it or any motorboats), Little Rock Pond. Tonight, I am back at the computer.
I only have the energy to put up one photo tonight. It's taken from Baker Peak (just about 3000 feet), looking south to Manchester VT. The large mountain in the background is Mount Equinox. And the road in the valley is VT Rte 7, the main N-S road on the west side of the state.
As I sit here, I know there are lots of people asleep in shelters or tents along the Appalachian Trail/Long Trail. They have walked any variety of distance but most seem to do at least 15 miles a day.
And the walking takes people through such gorgeous places that one would otherwise not see... a undisturbed pond, a forest of pine trees, a cascade, old stone walls from farmers decades ago, and woods and woods and woods. It truly is a marvel.
As the through-hiker, SoBo [Southbound] Scottie said on Monday night: Being out walking is a great way to be close to God.
Yes.

2 comments:
ah . . . whetted my appetite for sure! I'm beginning to count down days, actually. Not out loud yet, but in my heart.
I'm in Boston right now - going to The Crossing this evening (the anglimergent service from St. Paul's Cathedral). Boston is wonderful . . . but not food for my soul like the woods are.
I did bring my trail guide book and map with me to roughly figure out my schedule for next month. I suspect one of these evenings soon I'll have it worked through.
susan
Route 7 leads over here...
Wow, what a time you must have had. And yes- out there, so close to God.
Post a Comment