10 July 2008

Techno row


OK, true confessions. I bought some bootleg CDs while down in El Salvador. No excuses here. I did it. Forgive me, musicians, for I have sinned against you.

They're Mp3 collections of music and really they are a pot pourri and grab bag of music. Some of it is total junk and some is decent. It takes a while to sift through 130 some-odd songs and then upload them into iTunes so I chip away at it little by little.

Paradoxically, between Pandora Radio and riding around in microbuses, my musical curiosity has been piqued; consequently, I have delved into other genres of music than what's currently in my collection though Techno and Electronica, as they are called, really harken back to earlier types of music current in the 1970s. The difference is that these more recent forms tend to have a frenetic beat to them.

Last night I pulled together enough songs to have a long enough play list for a short row. I have no idea who the artists are other than most sing in English but there are a few who sing in Spanish (one song I like, Vuela, vuela, which has many, many different versions, I have yet to find the artist). This morning for my row, I decided, sure, I'll do a techno row of 5000m. It'll keep me going.

This decision is also after having read a debate between long-haul exercise and short bursts of exercise. I like the long-haul stuff but a 5000 metre row is faster and there's no reason to poke along.

I started out slowly but gradually woke up and a third of the way through decided to try to drop my splits down and at least break 23 minutes. The music helped because it is so lively (try the song, Ecuador).

To my surprise, I bettered my last ranked time. Oh no big deal; I am in the 16th percentile (84th if you want to look at it the other way) with a time of 22.52.08. I'll never beat the number 1 time of 20 minutes something, but I might be able to shave another 10 seconds off. Maybe, that's not a time I have ever attained. So at least I should drop a couple of seconds off to maintain my ranking.

What an exciting post (not). But, hey, sometimes we need time off from the sturm und drang and just get lost in a techno row.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I think techno row is cool and I love hearing about your different tastes in music.

Frankly, I am still marveling over your reference at my blog (which no one mentioned, including me) of Nazz's Meriden Flow!

Caminante said...

You can thank big bro for Meridan Leeward. He brought Nazz Nazz back from prep school in 1971 or 1972, I don't remember exactly when.