05 July 2008

Wimbledon


The tennis played by the Williams sisters this morning is amazing. Long volleys, amazing gets, stupendous placement. It's a great watch (and oh what shoulders these women have!). I don't usually watch television at all but Compa has gotten one of the special boxes for high definition television that has helped with the one station we can get here. So we have been watching the women's singles final at Wimbledon this morning.

I realise, Oh my goodness, it has been 30 years since I myself went to Wimbledon to watch the semi finals. My father, who was working and living in London, had gotten company tickets to the court adjacent to the Grand Court. We took the tube out to Wimbledon, walked past a queue of about three dozen taxis (those big black cars) and settled into our places to watch tennis. I no longer remember whom we saw. During a break, we wandered around and I remember seeing the late Arthur Ashe (whom I had seen years before in matches at Forest Hills, NY, the old Forest Hills) way back in the boonies on court 17 or such.

Of course we had to have strawberries and cream — that's typical Wimbledon fare.

Meanwhile, it's obnoxious ad time on the tube thirty years later.

1 comment:

Lisa Fox said...

Hmmmm .... 30 years ago? I'd suggest that means the era of Billie Jean King. When she and Martina retired ... that's when I quit watching tennis.

Signed --
The Old Fart