
Pray for the people of Burma (Myanmar) who are suffering from the effects of the typhoon and cyclone that devastated their country this weekend.
Our church has a missioner, the Rev'd Katherine Babson, who goes to Myanmar when she can get travel permits.
[Something is really, really weird with blogger this morning — I am typing on a split screen. Later I will correct the typos but I can't see half of what I am doing.]
[later] It turns out that the problem was with Camino.
In an e-mail message from the main city, Yangon, one resident reported: "Stories get worse by the hour. No drinking water in many areas, still no power. Houses completely disappeared. Refugees scavenging for food in poorer areas. Roofing, building supplies, tools - all are scarce and prices sky-rocketing on everything."
The military is still refusing to issue travel permits. People are increasingly getting angry with their limited response. The monks, on whom the military cracked down recently, have been in the streets picking up debris.
I always think of my colleague, Sang, with whom I worked at the Seamen's Church Institute of NY and NJ during the summer of 1991. He was a Protestant minister who had been tortured and imprisoned. He was a quiet and gentle soul who still was able to laugh. I still have a hat and a little picture made out of pieces of bamboo and cloth that he gave me at the end of our summer. If he is still alive, I hope he is OK.

1 comment:
What a beautiful post...
What a tragic situation in a country already besieged by such pain.
God have mercy on Burma.
Post a Comment