10 May 2008

Marker

On this vigil of Pentecost evening, after a simple eucharist (begun with lucinaria), with three other people, singing a capela the Veni Sancte Spiritus (502), Bridegroom (Like the murmur of the dove's song, 513), and the Eighth Tune, Tallis' canon (43), I come back to the house to work on the sermon... and mark another year quietly. This is the only time in my life that I have a birthday coincide with the night before Pentecost so I decided to have a eucharist to mark the event. Moreover, the local university has graduation tomorrow morning and I knew some professors would want to come to church. They did.


Compa and I observed my natal day last night with a good dinner, nice bottle of wine from Navarra and daffodils I picked from the yard (in a wonderful vase done by a Vermont potter).

This morning I had to go to the diocesan council meeting, which makes for a lot of driving around Vermont in circles (I heard somewhere that Vermonters drive more than any other state in the country, not a distinction I want, and I find that hard to believe).


En route, just a mile down the road from our house is this old farm. It is tucked into the notch and has an intimate vista of slightly rolling hills even though it is within the Vermont Greens and about six miles from Killington. This time of year, as spring is finally arriving, provides the most amazing gradations of colour in greens, pinks and greys. I don't know how well the vibrant greens will transmit in this photo but driving around Vermont the second week in May is always a pleasure.

So I have another year. I am pensive, partly because with each advancing year on my end, it is an advancing year with my parents. I am thankful for their continued health and presence in my life. Each day is precious.

And I am pensive for all the heavy prayers out there... for people who may not make it as far along as I have thus far.

¡Adelante!

7 comments:

PseudoPiskie said...

An almost belated Happy Birthday!

There comes a time when there are no parents. No mother to find a funny card for. You are right to cherish them now.

May all of you have many more happy birthdays to come!

June Butler said...

Caminante, a Blessed and Happy Birthday! Your small Eucharistic celebration sounds lovely.

I pray your parents stay healthy.

Yes, there's much to make us feel heavy, many prayers to be offered, but you're right:

¡Adelante!

Jane R said...

Happy Birthday!!

It is a joy to read your posts and to be a witness to your ministry -- and to that of your and Compa's cats.

I had Spanish wine for my birthday also this past week! (Fin del Rio - vin de la tierra de Castillo y Leon)

My parents are 89 (I am visiting them next weekend - also going to Cambridge for Krister Stendahl's memorial service) and like you I feel the fragility of life and the preciousness of every day.

I know I'm posting at a weird time -- I actually went to bed yesterday at 4 p.m. Commencement was over and there was nothing I wanted more than sleep! I'll probably sleep some more now. Then Eucharist for Pentecost, and I will actually be rested to greet the glorious feast.

Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Happy, happy birthday, tender lady. It is a distinction you share with the Holy Spirit and our youngest daughter, Mia. May natal blessings abound for you this day and always.

Paul said...

Natal felicitations and blessings, Caminante! May grace abound in the year ahead - and you have health, peace, and joy.

Kirstin said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm glad I get to share the planet with you.

(And thank you, so much, for what you've been doing for me.)

Fran said...

Happy Birthday dear Caminante.

I am late but with no less love and good wishes for you.