
The photo is of the wrong season but it does show the high altar of the Cathedral of Saint Luke in Portland, Maine where the Diocese of Maine celebrated the consecration of their ninth bishop, the Rt Rev'd Stephen Lane. It was a grand celebration — we Episcopalians really do know how to do our big liturgies well.
The Presiding Bishop was chief consecrator — her praying the prayer of consecration was simply elegant. She is one who is not afraid to allow the Holy Spirit to come close, to give the silence that the rubrics demand but moreso that the assembly needs before entering into such a holy moment.
Lots of and lots of bishops, lots and lots of clergy, lots and lots of people.
Also fun was running across a classmate from seminary and her family. Last I saw her 14 years ago, it was just her and her husband; now they have a 12 and 10 year-old! Going to an event like this is always a reunion, bumping into people you know, not necessarily well, but you still know them. When all else fails and someone says, 'Where do I know you from?' I can always answer, 'General Convention?'
+
Back here, I find out that Naomi is once again back in the big house with a fever and super low counts. So pray for her. This has got to be so incredibly discouraging.
Back to the sermon.

1 comment:
Prayers, of course. Always.
I'm certainly surrounded, and I feel them.
Post a Comment