30 May 2008

Of moose and of cars


They don't mix.

More later but tonight coming back from climbing up Mount Abraham, Compa, her friend (who was in the passenger seat) and I (in the back seat) hit a moose. There were two of them, we saw the first and the second one was hidden and we didn't see it until too late.

Blam.

The moose hair was even in the back seat along with window shards. Our friend in the front seat had moose hair in her mouth. It took me a second to release that the fresh air was not coming from an open window but the smashed front windshield that was now gaping from the top of the car and that the stuff on my lap was moose hair and not car insulation. Oddly the airbags didn't go off.

The moose? Dunno.

The car? Maybe totalled but we sure hope not. It's a good Honda CRV and it really did save our lives.

WE ARE FINE. Don't worry about us. We dodged a close one, that is true. Pray for the poor moose. And pray for Compa's car that it isn't totalled. We don't need that.

Photo of car (not close up though; it's too grody) will come tomorrow. [Here it is, good brave little car.]



I do give thanks that we are alive. If it had been my car.....

Meanwhile, the hike was gorgeous and I'll put up photos of that.

To bed.

[update] We went by the site of the accident yesterday (Friday). It is clear the moose did not survive. We feel awful about that. I just hope it didn't suffer for long.

7 comments:

Suzer said...

So thankful you all are o.k.

Poor moose!
Poor car!

But thank God no one was hurt. That must have been very scary. For all its faults, at least I don't have to worry about hitting a moose in Georgia.

Lisa Fox said...

OH. MY. GAWD!!!
Life is too fragile. :( So thankful you are all o.k.

PseudoPiskie said...

I hit two deer on separate occasions last year and can't imagine a too close encounter with a moose which is much larger. So happy to hear all the humans are ok in spite of moose hair in the mouth. ugh. It just doesn't seem right to pray for the health of a vehicle when some can't be bothered to pray for the health of a relationship. So I'll just pray that Compa has a good vehicle soon.

Rev Dr Mom said...

I am glad you are all okay, and I hope the car is redeemable. I've never seen a moose and I keep praying that when I do it's not the way y'all did!!

Kirstin said...

Yeep!

I'm sorry about the moose, and about the car--and very, very glad you're all right.

Jane R said...

Oh, my! Thanks be to Godde you and Compa are okay. And requiescat in pacem, brother or sister Moose.

BooCat said...

When my dad and I were "leaf peeping" in New Hampshire a few years back and saw the "Moose X-ing" signs, I voiced my desire to see a moose. The local gentleman at the roadside stand where we had stopped told me we had better hope we did see the moose, because if we didn't and hit it, we could both be dead. He then quoted the statistics of how many people had died between where he was and Conway, NH, on the other side of the mountain.
Thanks be to God that y'all are not just highway statistics.