15 May 2008

Lilacs



Today was one of those days where a meeting over in Middlebury had me do a lot of driving. Middlebury is two valleys over from the one I inhabit. It's in the Champlain basin and therefore is in a different climate. It's warmer and the fertile soil means it is good farmland.

I didn't have my camera with me, alas, because I would have loved to capture the rows and hedges of blooming lilacs alongside the road. I always like to return home by way of the Appalachian Gap that takes you through Jerusalem and up and over to Mad River Glen. All the way up farm houses had rows of lilacs and where there was no longer standing a house, the lilacs indicated where the door yard would have been.

They are so incredibly fragrant — a wonderful scent of which I never can get enough. In another week the rectory lilacs will be out and I won't have to travel to the other side of the Greens to see and smell them.


The trivia for the day is that the lilac is the state flower for New Hampshire.


[later when blogger will allow, I will put up some representative lilacs]

3 comments:

Fran said...

I inhale deeply at the thought!

Ours have been out and will soon be gone. How I love the lilacs.

Kirstin said...

Mmmm... lilacs are my favorite smell.

(Thanks again for all your prayers!)

Paul said...

Ah, I loves me some lilacs. Have little bushes now but they will grow up. Thanks!